Nov 16 2016

ECB obsessed with paperwork

Category: RantsFinancial Translator @ 4:09 pm

I recently got this basic email from a number of agencies regarding an ECB tender. Just keep in mind that the ECB is seemingly requesting this information from all its freelance translators. The mind boggles as to what will actually be done with all this documentation.

“The ECB has contacted us asking to provide the following documentation (both in hard copy and via e-mail) for all the freelancers involved in the translation of their documents (currently or in the future – we are due to receive some large projects in Sept – Dec):

1. Completed and signed freelancer statement (attached). Additionally, I have attached a ‘guide’ on how to fill in the freelancer statement with the sections that need to be completed highlighted in yellow (PDF file).

2. Proof that you have the relevant translation experience (at least two years of experience required) – i.e. either references from previous employers or 2 years worth of invoices required

3. Proof that you have a bachelor’s degree, or higher degree, in a relevant linguistic field – i.e. copies of degree certificates

4. Proof of your signing power (e.g. commercial register/power of attorney, a copy of identity card, if you are a freelancer) – i.e. copy of passport / ID card

5. Official certificate proving that your company has paid its social security contributions – This only applies if you are registered as a company rather than as an individual freelancer. If you are a registered
company then a self-declaration is sufficient. (see attached)

6. Official certificate proving that you/your company have/has paid your/its taxes – Self-declaration form is sufficient. (see attached)

7. Extract from the judicial record (or equivalent document issued by a competent judicial or administrative authority) proving that you/your company is not in one of the situations listed under item 2, 3 or 4
above, Declaration of honour. – Self-declaration form is sufficient (see attached)

8. Profit and loss statements and balance sheets or extracts from profit and loss statements and balance sheets for at least the three financial years specified in Section 3. If the accounts for these financial years have not yet been closed, please submit equivalent documentation if the company law of the country where your company is established does not require you to publish the profit and loss statement and/or balance sheet. – This only applies if you are registered as a company rather than as an individual freelancers. If you are a registered company then 3 years worth of Profit and Loss Statements required.”